Get talking Montreal, our network is live!

By | Posted June 25th, 2010

This morning, we turned on the network in Montreal, giving Montrealers another choice for wireless service. We’re giving wireless customers unlimited talk and text service at a predictable price. No contracts, no credit checks, no surprises.

For those that took advantage of our pre-network launch offer, they’ll now be enjoying unlimited Canadian long distance for life as part of their $40/month unlimited talk and text service. For those who want to become unlimited, visit one of our 31 stores now open in Montreal. Check our store locator for the store closest by.

**UPDATE**

We heard that a few of our customers experienced some difficulty setting up their Public Mobile phones in Montreal this morning.  Our network and systems are ready to get your talking, all you’ll need to do is follow these steps:

1)      Turn the phone on and make sure the battery is fully charged.
2)      Check your signal bars to be sure you are in the coverage area.
3)      Press *228 and ‘send’ (green button).
4)      Listen for a message to confirm your phone has been properly set up.

If you’re still having issues, please call us at 1-877-999-5055 and we will be happy to help you.

Share Button

26 Comments

1. Stefan says:

If I could get through to the *228 number to activate my phone, I would indeed rejoice!

2. joseph roger marin says:

Area code “438″ not in service till 10/10/03 what to do.

no answer at *228 PLEASE HELP

3. jim says:

*228 not working and no stores or the service line answering their phone. needless to say i am having trouble with so well promoted “get talking” aspect of this phone.

4. Public Mobile says:

Good morning! We heard that a few of our customers experienced some difficulty setting up their Public Mobile phones in Montreal this morning. Our network and systems are ready to get your talking, all you’ll need to do is follow these steps:

1) Turn the phone on and make sure the battery is fully charged
    2) Check your signal bars to be sure you are in the coverage area
    3) Press *228 and ‘send’ (green button)
    4) Listen for a message to confirm your phone has been properly set up.

5. ally says:

perhaps a message letting us know what’s going on and when we’ll be able to use our phones. this isnt really a good start to the network

6. Bhavik says:

*228 is worked fine and my phone is activated after dialing twice ! Yahooo ! Phone works fine ! Looking forward to new options like unlimited international calling .
    Thanks Public mobile team !

7. jim says:

my phone only works when its downtown, as soon as i get home (10 minutes away) theres no service. They said to wait another 24 hours and see if it works. However, since they are not open on the weekends, if it doesnt work then i actually have to wait until monday to attempt to get a refund. Also, Bhavik’s enthusiasm seems a little contrived, either they are truly in awe that their phone that they have paid for actually functions, or they are an employee trying to boost customer moral.
    I am at least amused at the irony of the helpful instructions to call the service line if there is a problem. Maybe i would call the service line IF MY PHONE WORKED.

bitter.

8. hobo says:

Great Network! I have great service on the streets where I live and under the tunnel where I sleep. I never go inside so the network has worked fine for me,because I am a very urban person, plus I live downtown. Thanks for the *unlimited power* to talk.

9. Frustrated in stores says:

Really?! I wanted to call customer service but I had no service! So I went outside and there was no service! Then I went to the stores and the employees coulds only say ” It’s going to get better” I wanted to activate the phone but there was no service IN THE STORE! The rep. had to go outside to activate it!!

I mean what is this company run by monkeys or what? At least make sure the main thing you sell is working !

10. Jim says:

I bought the phone to get the unlimited calling, but there is no network at my home so can’t receive or make a call. Also, on the street (Victoria) network is connecting and disconnecting; therefore my call are getting disconnected (but It works fine in downtown Montreal). I see no use of this mobile if their network will not improve. Are you going to expand the coverage area ? Is there any time line for that or should I disconnect the service ?

11. Paulina says:

Absolutely ridiculous. got through 228 but there is no coverage ANYWHERE when i call anyone, they cant hear me at all, i can hear them. I was in frickin Cote des Neiges and there was no coverage. Do i need to stand in the middle of Rene levesque to be able to reach someone or what? Despicable. I think this is a cue that sticking with the biog 3 is the only way

12. Desapointed customer says:

Sadly i am having the same problems in Lachine, i live a 2 minutes walk from the store i bought the phone, there is no coverage anywhere in my city, at my work, at my house, at the store even, all areas where customer service assures me i should be, they told me to change the phone, i did, same results, the store also had to go outside to activate the *228, i am very upset, i gave up my old company to soon and now i have no cel phone,can someone tell us when area code 438 will be in service ? Right now all i was told is it will get better, ok but when ? Tomorrow, next week, next month ? this is a very scary start.

13. Benson says:

I dont know for any of you guys out there, it seems other people have worse problems than mine. My problem is that as soon as I get inside a house, theres no more network. By the way, *228 worked fine for me.. except I had to go on my balcony this morning for it to work.
    Maybe if we wait a couple o days its going to be alright, Public mobile doesnt have the strongest signal thats for sure.

14. Public Mobile says:

Thanks for all your feedback. We are reading all the comments, and trying to respond to you each via email. We are turning on new sites every day. We’ll post updates from our network team later this afternoon on the action plan for the next few days to improve our network. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

15. Bhavik says:

Hello Publicmobile team,

As you know lots of people including me having a problem with connectivity outside downtown. My phone doesn’t work in my house, so your service is useless untill now. I can totally understand it is difficult to install proper network and you guys have done fantastic job to balance cost and service. Installing new tower might be long process. The big problem I have right now is communication. Could please ensure us that you are working to slove this problem. Are you going to fix the connectivity issues ? If yes, how long is it going to take?
    Please get back to us.

16. ginaontheweb says:

Hello Public Mobile team,

I am glad to read from you at 1h40pm on your english blog…

Please make shure to keep up posted on the french side as well…

Ther is many of us on that side, that didn’t hear from you yet…
    Thanks, Merci

Gina

17. Themudgirl says:

I was just told it could be a month before they get all the antennas up and working. I’m a short walk from the heart of downtown. Just spoke with the supervisor “Michelle”. She’s not nearly as customer friendly as John at the call center.

I was calm and polite, as I always am. Michelle was cold and uncaring. Great management. Great start to the service.

***Don’t let them port your old number before your new phone works.***

18. [...] seems Gina is not alone. Dozens of complaints were posted on the Public Mobile blog as of Monday morning. Public was supposed to have full coverage of the Montreal Island by Friday, [...]

19. [...] seems Gina is not alone. Dozens of complaints were posted on the Public Mobile blog as of Monday morning. Public was supposed to have full coverage of the Montreal Island by Friday, [...]

20. Connie says:

Store promoted it would take 2-3 mins to activate and port phone # over when they were selling it to me. Then I bought it and they said it would take 2-3hours to activate. Waited 2-3 days and still nothing. Read all the reviews and tried sticking my phone outside and finally it programmed and ported the phone over. So I’m getting no signal whatsoever indoors. Now what? I think my money back is in order if this isn’t resolved in the next couple of days!

21. [...] incident is not isolated. Dozens of complaints were posted on the Public Mobile blog by today. The company was expected to have full coverage of the Montreal Island by Friday. [...]

22. joeyjoejo says:

What a joke, after pubic mobile shooting off about another new entrant, they go and do the same thing…lol

23. Sonia says:

After reading all the negative comments above, just felt like leaving a positive response. Just bought mine yesterday, and I’m in CSL. The reception is crystal clear and everything works just fine. Thanks much for the unlimited option. It’s a great initiative compared to all the rip-offs and hidden charges out there. Keep up the good work!

24. michel rivet says:

very desapointed always same stories next week should be better bouth the phone end of march had to wait end of june for service now unable to use inside my office beaubien and st-hubert now new story because of vacation technitians are not working i have been told by the store operator that cell are not garanteed to work i realy feel that public mobil were in the business of vacuum cleaner before

25. Michael says:

Public Mobile has been a positive experience for me. Great service and my phone is as clear as any other cell phone that I have used. Unlimited at $40.00 a month just can’t be beat. Thanks, from Michael in Cote des Neiges Montreal.

26. krissy says:

Hello I’m in toronto got my daughter a new cell and can’t get through the *228 ????? Everything closed what’s the problem?