We’re all abuzz.

By | Posted April 20th, 2011

We’re happy to announce the arrival of our data service as well as our first data phone

Now Public Mobile customers can enjoy unlimited email for $5/mo with the new BUZZ™ device. BUZZ is an affordable and – if we do say so ourselves – stylish data-capable wireless phone with a full QWERTY keyboard for easy texting and emailing. No contracts. No activation fees.

It’s unlimited email at an unbeatable price. Yet another way that Public Mobile is bringing real unlimited alternatives to more Canadians.

For more info about the Buzz, click here.

For more info about the $5 unlimited email feature, click here.

BUZZ

Share Button

118 Comments

1. Public Mobile says:

Hi Diego, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the new buzz phone. Someone from our customer service department will be in touch with you via the email address you provided shortly. We’d like a better understanding of the problem so that we can resolve it quickly.

2. Public Mobile says:

Hi nikki, you are correct, the best way to store media on your phone is on a media card, and then link the phone to your computer via USB.

3. John F says:

Arif,

At this time you won’t be able to use your Nokia E71. Public Mobile does not support the use of other handsets.

However, you are able to keep/transfer your mobile number from the majority of cellphone and landline companies.

4. Dan says:

Already a month using this phone.
    The sound is OK, better that other Public Mobile phones.
    The phone “freeze”(not crash, you can finish the current conversation but after that the phone is nonoperational,hard reboot is required by removing the battery ) 12 times.
    The “freeze” occurred under following circumstances:
    - receiving a “call waiting” message during a call(sometimes, random)
    - receiving a “voice message waiting” message during a call(sometimes, random)
    - receiving a “text” message during a call(sometimes, random)

Maybe the manufacture will provide a firmware upgrade to fix this problems.

Regards,
    Dan

5. JasonJ says:

I just got the Buzz last week and I am very pleased with it. It feels good in the hand and the feature set is good.

However, I’m not getting email notifications automatically even though the phone receives the emails automatically. My settings is set to notify but there is no notification. Is this a software issue? and if so will it be updated soon?

My second question is, will the email client be upgraded over time ? (ie: to support inline images)

I really like this phone!

6. Larry says:

Hey Dan, I’ve been experiencing freezing problems too. As I mentioned also before, the phone randomly turns off, when not touched for a few minutes(Sometimes). It’s my 2nd Buzz phone. It happens to both of them,.

7. Eric says:

Hi Dan,

I’ve had the Buzz for about 3 weeks. It has taken to turning itself off for no reason and then I cannot turn it back on without removing the battery 10 or more times, like a previous post.
    Also, the alarm goes off but does not have any sound, regardless of the profile. It will have sound for a few days then just be silent, which could be hazardous!

Otherwise I’m happy with it.

8. Eric says:

I’ve also just experienced my first FATAL ERROR 286df34, 12

9. Jamal Shah says:

I am planning to move to PM. And thinking about Buzz. Any issues.? I read it is turnning off by itself. Is it fixed?t

10. JasonJ says:

Hmmmm…. I’ve had the phone for about three weeks and now it won’t turn on.

When I connect it to the charger, the screen lights up and shows charging, but as soon as I disconnect the charger the screen goes black and it won’t turn on.

I’ve removed the battery a couple of times… nothing happens.

11. Larry says:

Hey Eric, I’ve experienced the same Fatal Error message too :S

12. JasonJ says:

Oops! I forgot “press and hold” to turn the phone back on after a reboot.
    FIXED

13. Public Mobile says:

Hi Jamal. Thanks for your interest in Public Mobile! We encourage you to go to your nearest retailer and talk to one of our representatives, as they will be able to answer all your questions as well as suggest what phone and plan will best suit your needs. Visit our website to find the store nearest you: http://publicmobile.ca/pmconsumer/storeLocator?lang=en

14. Public Mobile says:

You’re right Dude, thanks for helping Nikki out.

15. Public Mobile says:

Hi Jensen, Public Mobile has built their own network which goes from Stoney Creek near Hamilton, around to Oshawa to provide service for our customers with Canada’s lowest price for real unlimited talk and text service. We continue to build out and reinforce our network but in the meantime, we offer roaming for just 15 cents a minute. http://www.publicmobile.ca/pmconsumer/features?lang=en

16. Public Mobile says:

Hi Sam, thank you for your ongoing support. We’re always looking to come up with new promotions and as soon as we have one for our existing clients, we’ll notify you on our blog or facebook page. Until then, we’re still offering our referral program that you can take advantage of: http://publicmobile.ca/pmconsumer/promotions/friendship Sign a friend up to Public Mobile and get $15 for every friend who joins!

17. Public Mobile says:

Hi Jeff, thanks for your suggestion. We’ll look into this and get back you.

18. Public Mobile says:

Hi Arif, unfortunately not at this point in time. The Public Mobile network only works with our handsets. You can read about them here: http://publicmobile.ca/pmconsumer/phones?lang=en. You are able to transfer your number to us.

19. Public Mobile says:

We love hearing from happy customers! Thanks for sharing RB!

20. Public Mobile says:

Hi John. Yes that’s right, only the Public Mobile handsets work with our network and you will be able to keep your phone number.

21. Jeff says:

Also, I was wondering if you guy would upgrade to selling phones made by bigger companies like blackberry? If so, it would be hard not to go with u guys cause your plans are great, all you need are some better phones.

Thanks,

Jeff

22. Public Mobile says:

Hi Jeff, our services are only available through our handsets that we list on our website. Any new launches and developments to our handset line-up will be announced through our blog and facebook page so keep checking back with us. And thanks for the compliment!

23. Nitin Thakur says:

Got BUZZ y’day. Have to say its a good phone for that price. Wont be right to compare it with other smart phones on the market. Yes, its an old technology, not many features in the phone. Having said that, 5$ for unlimited emails and 15$ for unlimited talk time. I am happy. You get what you pay for. And I am happy to port my number from one of the big 3 to PM. Email works fine and I am enjoying BUZZ. I havent seen the freezing problem. The only problem I encountered was I was unable to setup Gmail account on it. The catch was, first configure your gmail account before configuring any other email accounts else you will be hit by 3023 error. Documentation is not good and you can accidentally delete your emails if you RTFM :-)

24. Walter says:

I’ve had the Buzz for about 3 1/2 weeks. It has taken to turning itself off for no reason and then I cannot turn it back on without removing the battery…. and now it won’t turn on .

25. Nitin Thakur says:

Is there a driver for Windows XP to connect this phone to my computer to download stuff on it?

26. Brian Jerome says:

Definitely need drivers to download pics etc……doesn’t work with USB cable and windows has no drivers for this Buzz phone…..please make available asap.

27. Daniel says:

Hi, my buzz phone screen cracked, phone still works just has a crack. Is there a way to get a replacement lens for my phone? Even if does not say public mobile on it I do not care, I just need to know what would be compatible.

Thanks,

Dan

28. A says:

I was wondering what apps there are on the buzz!

29. Dean says:

I currently have the buzz phone but cannot find drivers to hook up my cell to my laptop.

30. Damien says:

I was just wondering how to set up the Email on the BUZZ. I have no idea where the Icon is. Help greatly appreciated! Thankss

31. david says:

Hi Damien – you can find instructions on how to set up your email on our Phone Detail page, as well as in the Support section of PublicMobile.ca. Click here to be taken to the Buzz Phone Detail page

32. John F says:

@A No apps available yet

everyone else having issues with the phone and drivers. 2 things need to be checked:

1) make sure the buzz has been set to USB DISK MODE

2) ABSOLUTLY required a USB 2.0 cable and USB 2.0 port.

33. John F says:

@Daniel: unfortunately the only way to get the screen/lens replaced is by buying a new buzz. No replacement parts available.

34. Jacqueline says:

I just got the phone, definitely have a 2.0 cable that came with the phone (no?) and a computer more than capable, and I have the phone set to usb mode and it is asking me to ‘Please insert memory card.’ What memory card? where? and no, no driver’s found by xp either, can only charge the phone via the computer, can just draw power. Cannot find it otherwise, please help, I would like to put some music on it….

35. John F says:

Memory card needs to be purchased at pretty much any electronics retailer. Public Mobile Store, The Source, Futureshop, Best Buy.

Not included with the phone.

Needs to be a MICRO SD card.

Once that has been inserted into the phone, and it is back on USB mode, it SHOULD resolve the issue

36. Kim says:

Hi, I have the same problem JasonJ had, except nothing will turn my phone back up. It randomly shut off. I’ve tried popping out the battery, rebooting, charging it for the entire day, nothing works. The battery icon appears when I connect it to a power source but as soon as I remove it, the screen blacks out.

37. Garneac says:

Hi Public Mobile,

Thinking of signing up with you guys because of your cheap prices and absence of contracts.

That said, I’d appreciate some answers to a couple of questions:

1) I do not want e-mail or data. I think I read somewhere that the Buzz requires you to have a data plan. Is that true?

2) If I do buy a Buzz, I want a guarantee that if the above problems by other customers happens to my phone that I will not be charged a fee for repairs or be given a refurbished phone in exchange. If there are “random shut down” issues with the phone from its release till now, then it’s only fair. So, free exchange beyond the seven days if the phone experiences the above issues?

3) I’m guessing I can’t use your phones on any other provider (or can I?), but even so, will I get to keep my phone if I decide to drop your services?

4) The extra storage, how far can it be expanded? (Hopefully 32 GBs?)

Sorry if I seem hostile, but the better/stable phones I want are either too pricy, require a contract, or include data/e-mail options I’m just not interested in. I’m hoping Public Mobile can deliver its affordable, nonsense-free services without sacrificing quality.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Garneac

38. John F says:

Garneac:
    1) You can buy a buzz with any plan. Data is not required
    2) 1yr warranty. Within 7 days, new phone exchange. After 7 days, refurbished or used phone.
    3) Phones will only work with Public Mobile. No other carriers work on the “G” network band that Public Mobile operates on, therefore not compatible. Also, Public Mobile runs on a CDMA network. Yes, you get to keep your phone if you drop service
    4) don’t know memory capacity though…but more then likely 16GB’s

39. Garneac says:

Thanks.

Signed up with you guys today, but the rep told me that all Public Mobile phones can only be expanded to 8 GBs. Kinda sucks, sure, but I’m thinking I won’t be using the Buzz as my music player anyways. Still, I swapped in some of my MP3s quick time because some of the default ringtones were…horrifying. :P

One problem though: how do I set up speed dial? I’ve gone into contacts, chosen the option to add a contact to speed dial, assigned it to #2, but when I press #2 in standby.home screen and press Talk, I get the message “Number error.” I tried using the default #1 for voicemail and the same thing happened.

Is there some other combo for using speed dial?

Best,

Garneac

40. John F says:

Garneac:
    Having used the Buzz extensively, I would say try just holding the number down for 2-3 seconds, it will automatically dial out. If that doesn’t work, I would suggest to redo the speed dial programming and/or take it to store to see if they can program the speed dial

41. Michael says:

Hi, i just got my Buzz about 1/2 hour ago. Has not been activated, just turned it off for the first time. Upon reboot it asks for a password which i have not chosen and don’t know what to do, any suggestions? Also the same as most people with the USB, i have the cable and my laptop is capable, however Windows cannot find a driver and when the phone is in USB mode it asks for a memory card which did not come with the phone (should it?)a
    Thanks

42. Garneac says:

Thanks PM, speed dial is working fine now.

Now, is there a way to add my own wallpaper to the Buzz? And can I remove the default ringtones/message beeps? Thanks in advance.

Best,

Garneac

43. Garneac says:

@Michael:

You’ll need to buy a memory card (rep at the store says max is 8GB). Insert it, then hook the Buzz up to the laptop, switch to USB mode, press “Act” (I think) and Windows will recognize the phone shortly.

Best,

Garneac

44. Expert says:

Hi Everyone,

I’ve had the freezing issues as well, ive solved it by decreasing the keypad tone by giong into menu -> profiles -> keypad tone -> set to “0″. It decreases the processes handled by the phone. And if it freezes you have to wait a minimum 30 seconds and it will work again.

45. Garneac says:

Is there a way to add my own wallpaper to the Buzz? And can I remove the default ringtones/message beeps? Thanks in advance.

Best,

Garneac

46. John F says:

Garneac:

To my knowledge, you can’t remove the default ringtones and alerts.

Wallpaper: you can change the wallpaper in 2 ways.

menu – settings – display setup – wallpaper (you can choose from default ones)

if you go to the multimedia option in the menu and choose gallery. You can look through there to wehre all of the pictures are stored, you can click on options and USE AS. Choose wallpaper. Hope that helps

47. amanda says:

hi dan, im having a problem with my buzz phone it will not turn on and when it does it has a fatal error message and also when it turns on sometimes it goes to test mode and i cannot make or recive calls or text messages. help.

sincerly,
    amanda.

48. John F says:

Amanda: if you are gettnig the Fatal Error message on boot up, it is recommended, that while the phone is powered ON, to pull the battery out (again, while the phone is ON).

Wait 5 or so seconds. Put battery back in and try again. If issue persists, phone may need to be replaced under warranty.

49. Oliver H says:

Anyone know how to change the time on this phone?
    Daylight savings time is over since last night and I want to set my phone to the right time.
    User manual does not contain this information(if it does its cryptic), and I’ve looked in all the menus to no avail. WTF

50. Garneac says:

Daylight Savings Time has arrived, and I realized that I don’t know how to change either the date or time on the Buzz (but more importantly the time). I didn’t sign up for a data plan, so I can’t update the time via internet. I looked through the manual too, but no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best,